Boundaries Under Development for New Elementary School
Magnolia Elementary School is undergoing renovation and modernization to open as an elementary school in fall 2018. Opening this school will help relieve capacity challenges and accommodate future growth at Catharine Blaine K-8, Coe Elementary, and Lawton Elementary schools.
If Magnolia is opened as an attendance area school, boundaries will have to be established to assign students to the new school. This will require changes to the existing boundaries for other schools in the Magnolia/Queen Anne cluster, particularly Catharine Blaine, Coe and Lawton. Options are being explored, and no decisions have been made.
- March – June 2017: Additional community engagement
- September 2017: Draft proposal presented to School Board Operations Committee
- September – October 2017: Share information with community on proposal to School Board.
- October 2017: Introduction of proposed Magnolia boundaries (and related changes) to School Board.
- November 2017: School Board action on Magnolia boundaries (and related changes).
Community Meeting on Monday, May 1 - materials added
Please join Seattle Public Schools for a community meeting about potential Magnolia School scenarios.
Date: Monday, May 1, 2017
Time: 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Location: McClure Middle School Gym, 1915 1st Avenue West
The SPS Enrollment Planning team will share an overview of responses received about possible boundaries for Magnolia School, share data related to various scenarios requested by the community and the School Board, and learn more from community feedback.
No decisions have been made on Magnolia boundaries, or on boundary or program changes for other schools. The goal of this meeting is to share information and hear additional community feedback.
- 6:30 p.m.: Overview of boundary process and previously received feedback
- 6:45 p.m.: Review scenario maps and pro/con exercise
- 7:15 p.m.: Public comment and questions
Note: To accommodate the anticipated attendance, there will be a limited number of speakers in the large group setting. Comment cards will be available, and we encourage community members to submit any questions or comments to district staff at the meeting or by email.
- 7:45 p.m.: Recap and next steps
- 8:00 p.m.: End
Resident density maps, current and proposed boundary maps, and pro/cons lists for boundary scenarios will be part of the information shared at the May 1 meeting. Click here to download the meeting materials packet.
Please see the links to the right for an overview of previous community meetings.
Last updated: 4/28/2017