The Seattle Public Schools Board Office has two main areas of focus:
Supporting the Board in the preparation and planning of Board meetings to ensure they run effectively and allow for public awareness and participation
- Posting documents for regular Board meetings at least 3 days in advance of the meeting to allow for public review
- Maintaining accurate and timely information on the School Board’s website
- Noticing all Board meetings on the District’s website in a timely manner
- Responding to and tracking constituent contacts
- Maintaining the Board Office Archives
- Complying with requirements of the Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA)
Community awareness and participation play a key role in the Board’s work, offering Directors information on the impact of their decisions. Therefore, the Board hears public testimony at each regular Board meeting, giving priority to those speaking to items on the agenda, to ensure they hear from the public about items on which they are taking action. Further, when the Board receives more than 35 public testimony requests, the public testimony list is extended to allow five additional speakers.
Supporting Board members in their role as a Director
- Providing administrative support to Board members (e.g., travel arrangements, expense reimbursements, and document preparation)
- Maintaining the Board Office budget
- Preparing meeting rooms
Providing appropriate support to Board members allows them to focus their time and efforts on District priorities.
Board Office Staff
Board Office Administrator
Annya provides administrative support to the Board Office, responding to and keeping the Board informed of constituent phone calls and emails. Annya also posts all documents for Board meetings, work sessions and committee meetings, and maintains the Board Office archives.