The General Counsel’s Office provides legal services to the Seattle Public Schools, including the School Board, Superintendent, and District Administrators, to ensure legal compliance across all District operations and reduce potential liability.
Staff attorneys represent and counsel clients on a variety of practice areas:
- School Board Operations
- Open Public Meetings Act Compliance
- Litigation Management and Tort Claims
- Facilities and Capital Projects
- Contracting and Procurement
- District and School Operations
- Policy and Procedure Development and Compliance
- Legislative Analysis
- Labor and Employment Issues
- Educational Operations Issues
- Special Education
- Student Issues
- Public Records and Student Records Compliance
- Risk Management (Risk and Loss Prevention)
- District Safety and Security
- Constitutional Issues
Providing tools and removing obstacles so that students and staff realize their full potential.
The Office of General Counsel provides, manages, and coordinates all legal services for Seattle Public Schools in a collegial, positive, and professional manner. We are committed to rendering high quality and responsive services to support Seattle Public Schools’ mission.