Growth Boundaries Implementation for 2017-18
On Nov. 16, 2016, the School Board approved changes to the 2013 Growth Boundaries plan for implementation in the 2017-18 school year. This implementation is only related to elementary and middle school boundaries. Community engagement about high school boundary changes related to the opening of Lincoln in 2019 will begin in early 2017.
Most elementary schools will retain their current boundaries, which means students will remain at their current attendance area schools. Overall, the School Board approved plan for 2017-18 includes boundary changes that move a small part of West Woodland into the the Whittier attendance area and a small part of View Ridge to the Bryant attendance area with grandfathering for current students at both schools.
Meany and Eagle Staff middle schools will open with minor changes to their previously approved boundaries.
Districtwide maps are available below. Individual attendance area maps for 2017-18 are in production. Most elementary schools will have the same boundaries as they do in the current year.
Student Assignment Plan: Several updates to the Student Assignment Plan for 2017-18 were approved by the School Board. This includes updates to Highly Capable Cohort (HCC) pathways. Community meetings were held to share information about these updates. Please see the Student Assignment Plan page for more information.
Maps with Final, Board-approved Attendance Areas
We know changing schools can be challenging for both students and parents. If your student is changing schools next year under the amended implementation plan, the principal at the receiving school (your students’ school next year) will be working with your current principal to create a smooth transition.
Approved 2017-18 Implementation Plan
The change area numbers use in this plan can be found on these maps. They do not represent approved boundaries for 2017-18.
Amendments to the 2013 plan were recommended by Enrollment Planning after analysis of data and extensive feedback from hundreds of families and community members between January 2016 and November 2016. Community meetings were held in April, September and October to gather feedback. In addition, many parents emailed the Growth Boundaries team, and that information was shared with the School Board.
School Board Directors also received feedback directly and introduced their own series of amendments to the plan proposed by staff.
The approved Board-proposed amendments were:
Amendment 1b: Areas 41 and 44 will be retained in the Green Lake Elementary attendance area.
- Students in areas 41 and 44 will continue to be assigned to Green Lake.
- This means some Green Lake students will be assigned to Eckstein for middle school and some will be assigned to Hamilton for middle school.
Amendment 2: Area 45 will be retained in the Eckstein Middle School attendance area.
Students living in this area will be assigned to Eckstein.
- This means that some Green Lake students will be assigned to Eckstein for middle school and some Green Lake students will be assigned to Hamilton for middle school.
Amendment 3: West Woodland Elementary School students in area 126 will be grandfathered at West Woodland. Hamilton International Middle School students in area 126 will be grandfathered at Hamilton.
- Current K-4 West Woodland students will automatically be assigned to West Woodland.
- Those wishing to change to the new attendance area elementary school, Whittier, should submit a School Choice form during Open Enrollment.
- New attendance area elementary students and incoming kindergarten students will be assigned to Whittier.
- Current 6-7 Hamilton students will automatically be assigned to Hamilton.
- Those wishing to change to the new attendance area middle school, Whitman, should submit a School Choice form during Open Enrollment.
- New attendance area middle school students and incoming sixth grade students will be assigned to Whitman.
Amendment 4: Area 124 will be retained in the West Woodland Elementary School attendance area.
- Elementary students in this area will continue to be assigned to West Woodland.
- The attendance area middle school for this area will remain Hamilton.
Amendment 5a: Cedar Park Elementary School will be opened as an option school, instead of an attendance area school. Focused support will be provided for new school visioning and community engagement before Open Enrollment in February 2017.
- Area 88 will remain in the Olympic Hills Elementary School attendance area.
- Area 95 will remain in the John Rogers Elementary School attendance area.
Amendment 6a: Elementary school attendance area boundary changes for areas 18, 90, 93, 101, 117, 120, 122 and 128 will not be implemented.
- Students in these areas will be assigned to their current school.
- Schools impacted are: Broadview-Thomson, Olympic View, Sacajawea, Viewlands, View Ridge, Wedgwood, Whittier, Olympic Hills, Bryant, John Rogers.
Amendment 11: Transportation for Grandfathered Students.
- Students in Areas 119 and 126 will be provided with transportation to remain at their current schools (View Ridge and West Woodland).
Amendment 12: Middle School HCC Pathways
- HCC pathways for middle school students will be detailed in the Student Assignment Plan (which is also subject to School Board review and approval).
The final implementation plan also includes the following staff-introduced amendments:
Area 11: Students will be assigned to Daniel Bagley and Robert Eagle Staff.
Area 13 (Kimball): Students will continue to be assigned to Mercer for middle school.
Area 20: Students will continue to be assigned to Bryant.
Area 25: Students will continue to be assigned to B. F. Day.
Area 82 (John Muir): Students will continue to be assigned to Washington for middle school.
Area 103: Students will continue to be assigned to Sand Point.
Area 104: Students will continue to be assigned to Sand Point.
Area 131: Students will continue to be assigned to Mercer.
Sanislo, Denny alignment: Students in the Sanislo Elementary attendance area will be assigned to Denny International Middle School and Chief Sealth International High School.
Thornton Creek GeoZone: The Thornton Creek Elementary GeoZone has been expanded to include Sportsfield Drive NE, between NE 65th Street and NE 74th Street.
Highly Capable Cohort (HCC)
Modifications to the HCC pathways as a result of school boundary changes were included in the updates to the Student Assignment Plan.
Last updated: 1/31/2017