|Thank you for your patience. The login issue has been resolved. The warnings were a false alarm based on a problem with another website unrelated to Seattle Public Schools.|
Pursuant to Board Policy 3141, Seattle Public Schools welcomes the enrollment of non-resident students as long as the anticipated needs of resident students are met first; acceptance of the non-resident student does not create a financial hardship for SPS; and the non-resident student's academic and disciplinary records meet appropriate standards, as established by the School Board.
2014-2015 School Year
Non-resident assignments are for one academic year only; all non-resident assignments are dropped at the end of each academic year as non-resident students must make a new application each subsequent academic year to request continued enrollment in Seattle Public Schools by obtaining an Interdistrict Release and filing a School Choice Form.
Non-resident students do not have an attendance area school. Non-resident students can only be assigned to schools and programs when space is available in the appropriate grade and program for students who are living outside the attendance area. For secondary schools only the seats set aside for open choice are available for non-resident enrollment. Any schools/grades/programs with a wait list of resident students by definition do not have any space available and cannot accomodate any non-resident students. You are welcome to apply for any school, grade, or program regardless of its appearance on or absence from the list.
School assignments based upon a District address are not automatically continued if the student becomes a non-resident. Pre-kindergarten programs are not open to non-resident students, and non-resident students may not be placed on waiting lists.
Application Process and Timeline
State law requires that non-resident students obtain an interdistrict release from the district of residence each year to apply for non-resident enrollment. The interdistrict release for non-residents who wish to attend SPS must be submitted by the deadlines specified each year. Applications are considered on a first come/first served basis.
- Applications will be accepted beginning June 2, 2014 for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Applications submitted prior to June 3, 2014 will be held for your convenience and considered to have been received on June 3, 2014.
- The deadline is September 30, 2014 to apply for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Applications take FOUR weeks to process. Applications must be received by August 8, 2014 in order to receive a response prior to the first day of school on September 3, 2014.
- A school choice form must also be submitted with the interdistrict release.
- For students not currently attending SPS, the application must also include records from the current school about the student’s attendance, behavior, academic progress, and any program needs [such as special education (current IEP), gifted, or bilingual eligibility] for the previous year.
Step 2 - Contact your local school district and request an interdistrict release, a copy of the student's
attendance and/or discipline history, and a copy of the student's transcript (secondary students) or
progress reports (elementary students)
Step 3 - Complete the Seattle Public Schools admission application
Step 4 - Complete the appropriate School Choice application for the student's grade level
Click here for School Choice Application Forms
Step 5 - Submit all information listed above to the SPS Service Center:
FAX: (206) 743-3002
Mail: Seattle Public Schools
PO Box 34165
Seattle, WA 98124-1165
PLEASE NOTE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
District policy governs whether or not a non-resident student may attend Seattle Public Schools. Factors taken into consideration include space availability; program capacity and/or cost; history of suspensions or expulsions; and concerns with attendance, or behavior.
If the non-resident application is denied, the parent/guardian may appeal to the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction in Olympia at (360) 725-6133.